Friday, March 15, 2013

Moss Easter Bunny Wreath



St. Patty's day is almost here and I have been looking all over for ideas for a nice Easter wreath. This wreath is inspired by the Easter Bunny Wreath over at The Privileged Door Etsy shop. 

I found all of my materials (besides the cardboard) over several trips to Hobby Lobby. The total cost of the wreath was around $6 or $7 with coupons. 

I had large pieces of cardboard that I had been saving from when I received our 20x30 large canvas picture from our wedding in the mail. The first step is to sketch the shape that you want onto the canvas. Don't worry if you mess up, it's all going to be covered with moss eventually so you want see any drawing marks. 

 Cut the shape out. I could not find any of my scissors around anywhere so I began cutting out the design with a serrated knife but after catching my finger with the knife I figured it'd be safer if I went and bought a new pair of scissors. Scissors are preferable!


I found this Moss at Hobby Lobby for $3.99 a bag(I used 2 1/2 bags all together). If you can find a big, long sheet of moss for cheap anywhere use that. Hobby Lobby had some for $20, so I just figured that these small pieces of sheet moss would be good enough and I would just piece them together. 
I just started piecing the moss on my cardboard.
I used Hot Glue as my adhesive for the moss but I am sure that Mod Podge or regular glue would work as well if you don't have any hot glue on hand. Be careful when you press the moss onto the cardboard since the glue is still very hot and can seep through the moss. This is one of the reasons I HATE working with hot glue, I usually end up burning my fingertips.
Your pieces can overlap the edges of your shape, we will just trim them down. 

Once I got all of my moss on I broke out my frilly ribbon that I found at Hobby Lobby for $3.99 and it was on sale for an additional 50% off too! SCORE! 
I cut a long strip of ribbon and tied it in a bow around the bunny's neck. I then took another long piece and hot glued both of the ends onto the back of my shape so that it has something to hang from 
Finished Bunny Moss Wreath. I realize that it hangs a bit low on my door, I still have to move my Command Hook to the right placement. 

Now keep in mind, it is still boring/ugly cardboard on the back. Once I get some popsicle sticks to glue on the back of the ears and the neck to stabilize/make the cardboard stronger(it was very 'bendable' in some places) I am either going to Mod Podge some green paper on the back or just simply paint it green. If you have a plain door, with no glass on it, there is no need for this extra step since you won't see the back of the wreath at all. 

Hope you like it and I really hope that this tutorial was easy to follow. If you have any questions please leave a comment.

 post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment