Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Journey for a Baby- IVF Post 1

Since deciding that we are indeed going to go the IVF route a few things have happened. I had my first official appointment with Dr. Dayal last week. She performed a fluid ultrasound to check for any uterine cysts or polyps. None found! However, she did find that my egg production this cycle is a bit on the low side, which is not good for someone who is about to go through the IVF process, in this case using donor eggs were suggested. However, upon reading my AMH results she said that my ovarian reserve is normal for someone my age.

Yesterday I got a call from the case worker for Sher Institute that my bloodwork came back for my Natrual Killer (NK) cells. Apparently my levels are elevated. Upon doing a bit of research, I found that everyone has NK cells, they help fight off viruses and infection. However, with elevated levels and in the TTC side of things, these cells are basically 'attacking' the embryo preventing it from implanting and in some cases causing women to have chemical/ recurrent miscarriages.

Treatment for elevated levels is a 2 hour dose of intravenous intralipids(the same medication that they give to MS and cancer patients)prior to embryo transfer as well as upon a positive pregnancy test.

I am just hoping and praying that doing all of this will mean a little babe in my arms this time next year.
Fingers Crossed!
post signature

2 comments:

  1. We went to Dr Dayal for our 3rd IVF cycle, our first two cycles were at a different clinic. You are in great hands at Sher St Louis, the entire staff and Dr Dayal are amazing. I also had elevated Natural Killer Cells and did the Intralipid Infusion at Mercy Hospital once prior to my transfer and again after our positive beta. I have 6 month twin boys from our third IVF cycle. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! Congratulations! I love hearing success stories!

      Delete